New Zealand insist Trent Boult is on track to play the inaugural day-night Test.
Boult failed to bowl in the ongoing day-night clash at the WACA, where both sides agreed pre-match they would each have one full day of batting.
NZ assistant coach Craig McMillan indicated earlier this week that all 15 members of the touring party would take some part in the two-day clash with Western Australia.
Boult was expected to be on restricted duties, as was the case with Tim Southee who only bowled two short spells on Saturday.
Boult had the whites on but didn’t roll the arm over once.
The 26-year-old suffered a stress-related injury to his back earlier this year and was underdone when the squad arrived in Australia.
The left-armer has been down on pace and struggled for control for much of the first two Tests.
“We’ll assess him over the next couple of days and he’s on track to be fit for the third Test,” NZ bowling coach Dimitri Mascarenhas said on Saturday.
Mascarenhas gave little away when asked whether Boult’s back was still causing him grief.
“He’s going ok as far as I know,” he said.
Boult would be a major loss for NZ at Adelaide Oval.
When on song his late swing is as potent as Mitchell Starc’s, the pair having both claimed 22 wickets in this year’s World Cup.
If Boult is ruled out of the three-Test series finale, fellow left-armer Neil Wagner is almost certainly guaranteed a recall.
Wagner grabbed 5-62 from 19 overs as Western Australia built a total of 13-345 in the centre-wicket session.
“He’s a good bowler,” Sam Whiteman said, having scored 117.
“I’d class him as pretty skiddy. He’s on to you a bit quicker than you think, sort of hustle and bustle and gets in your face a little bit.
“He’s quite aggressive.”
The combative quick also earned the praise of Mascarenhas.
“He didn’t try any more or less than he usually does. That’s exactly how we expect him to bowl,” he said.